Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Bryce Thompson is my hero!

I had met Bryce here and there through wrestling. Our brothers, Ric and Greg, wrestled on a bunch of the same teams throughout high school and college. The first time that I really hung out with him was when we went to Reno, NV to watch our nephews wrestle in a tournament. Bryce and I were paired as roommates. It was awesome!! We had a lot of the same interests and really just hit it off. Even though I don't see him as often as I would like I consider him to be one of my best friends. Kind of kindred spirits. Weird and cheesy but to know Bryce is to love him.

During that trip Bryce and I both played the tables a bit. I had a limit which I lost in about ten minutes. Bryce didn't lose. The best that I can recall, every time he came back to the room, he had increased his bottom line. I was in awe. That was the first time that I really looked up to Bryce and wanted to be like him.

Bryce, Ric, Greg and I went pig hunting in Idaho. We were told that some of the sows had babies in them and this freaked me out. I am a bit of a softie and did not want to field dress an animal that had a future family in it. Bryce and Ric gave me a hard time all day. In the end I shot a big old sow. Ric told me that he could tell that for sure it had babies in it. Bryce laughed really hard at this. Upon field dressing we found NO BABIES!! I cannot find it but have a great pic of Bryce and I with that sow. It was a great trip.

I relied on Bryce a lot when Meagan was sick. He was a good shoulder to cry on. I am always amazed at his strength. It is literally like no one else I have ever known. Just another reason that Bryce is my hero.

Earlier this year I ran 53+ miles in honor and support of Bryce. It was a great day. I started at 4:00 AM near Brighton ski resort and finished at 1:00 AM at the City Creek gate. Through mile 20 I felt like a champ. We were cruising and making great time. At the top of Bare Ass Pass I called Bryce and briefed him on our progress. It was rejuvenating to hear his voice. Shortly thereafter it got HOT! My stomach turned on me and I was sick. In a hole. I could not muster any energy and had to lay down for a minute under a poor shade offering oak tree. My thoughts turned to Bryce. I got up and put one foot in front of the other. Sometimes that is all that you can do. A good old puke and I felt like a million bucks. Had I not thought of Bryce and his strength and his courage I may still be under that tree. :)

Just like there is no trail in City Creek, sometimes there is no trail in life. You just have to bushwhack. I know of no one better at bushwhacking life than Bryce!

Bryce, I love you and look up to you more than you will ever know. I appreciate your example of courage and GRIT. Thank you for being an inspiration to me and my family. Mark Robbins

Here are some pics from the 53 miler. The top right picture is where I called Bryce. #thompsontough

No comments:

Post a Comment