Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Ripple Effect

Hey Bryce, I don't think we've ever actually met but after reading everyone's posts I'm really wishing we had.  I'm one of the many cousins of your sweet wife and from afar whether you knew it or not you and your family have had a big impact on my family's life.  I first heard about your condition when I was in College about 10 years ago.  I was thinking about going into medicine but hadn't really found that spark that really motivated me to jump in.  Thats when I heard about your condition and the amazing process you went through to get your healthy triplets via preimplantation genetic diagnosis.  Well I called Jenni right up and got the name and number of your doctor who performed the PGD procedure and soon we were in correspondence on a regular basis.  He became sort of a mentor and really motivated me to buckle down and get serious about going into medicine.  Well that started a chain of events that had me hesitantly applying to the medical school in Detroit just because his lab was there (a school I had never heard of and wouldn't have applied to otherwise).  Turns out it was the only medical school I got accepted to and kind of forced our hand to go there.  Well despite our reluctance Detroit was an amazing growing experience for our family and we ended up loving it.  I got a job with that same doctor and he really helped me through medical school and in landing a good residency which has translated into a very good job here in Colorado.  I know that without your story my family wouldn't be where we are today.  I'm not sure I would have gone into medicine to start with, I definitely wouldn't have been accepted to med school that first year applying (and it just gets harder to get accepted in subsequent years of application), the experiences in Detroit, residency, my current job, I feel like I have you to thank for so much of it.  I know you're going through a real rough spell but you never know who's life your courageous story is affecting for good.  It's affected ours, and we'll forever be grateful.  Stay strong!

Love The Hiltons
Levi, Arika, Jackson, Caden, Addison

No comments:

Post a Comment